| \_\ \  | \/\  ___/ / __ \|    <  /    / 
   |___  /__|    \___  >____  /__|_ \/_____ \
        \/            \/     \/     \/      \/

It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:35 am

Software help for a newbie 
Senior

Post Software help for a newbie
Hi guys,

the idea of producing has been in my head since a couple of months now and I think I'm actually going to give it a try. I looked up a lot of stuff on the web and I learned some essential things about it, but most websites I visit say things that look like a foreign language to me... kinda not motivational

I noticed that when people ask about what software they should use, the answer is always: "doesn't matter, just try them out". Now, here on this forum I read that Reason is kind of easy to use for a beginner, it's really clear., but not as professional as Logic Pro. Now If I'm looking to really throw myself on the whole prodiction thing, is it best for me to just struggle through the basics on Logic Pro and get some sound on professional type of software or should I start off with Reason and get the basics down there and maybe take it to the next level on Logic Pro afterwards.
To put it this way: Is it a real pain in the ass to switch between different DAW's or is it rather easy??

Hope it's not too stupid from me to ask this, as I said: complete newbie here :)

www.facebook.com/prismadnb
www.soundcloud.com/prismadnb
bookings: simongeernaert(at)gmail(dot)com

Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:43 pm
Ghent Represent

Post Re: Software help for a newbie
prisma wrote:
Hi guys,

the idea of producing has been in my head since a couple of months now and I think I'm actually going to give it a try. I looked up a lot of stuff on the web and I learned some essential things about it, but most websites I visit say things that look like a foreign language to me... kinda not motivational

I noticed that when people ask about what software they should use, the answer is always: "doesn't matter, just try them out". Now, here on this forum I read that Reason is kind of easy to use for a beginner, it's really clear., but not as professional as Logic Pro. Now If I'm looking to really throw myself on the whole prodiction thing, is it best for me to just struggle through the basics on Logic Pro and get some sound on professional type of software or should I start off with Reason and get the basics down there and maybe take it to the next level on Logic Pro afterwards.
To put it this way: Is it a real pain in the ass to switch between different DAW's or is it rather easy??

Hope it's not too stupid from me to ask this, as I said: complete newbie here :)

Really simplified reply:
Reason is okay to start with, BUT has a different way of working that the other DAWs.
Good option to start with is Fruityloops. Its easy, they have different packages that come with a selection of VSTs so you can get started straight away, there's a shitload of tutorials online, its professional, its cheap, its Belgian...
And it's just quick to make tracks, deffinatly as beginner.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
[MIX] Paranoized - The Last Breath: Here (Stream/download)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
Senior

Paranoized wrote:
prisma wrote:

Really simplified reply:
Reason is okay to start with, BUT has a different way of working that the other DAWs.
Good option to start with is Fruityloops. Its easy, they have different packages that come with a selection of VSTs so you can get started straight away, there's a shitload of tutorials online, its professional, its cheap, its Belgian...

Thank you for the feedback! Problem is I work with mac and FL Studio isn't compatible with this. Is ableton a good DAW to start out with?

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:07 pm
Ghent Represent

prisma wrote:
Paranoized wrote:
prisma wrote:

Really simplified reply:

Thank you for the feedback! Problem is I work with mac and FL Studio isn't compatible with this. Is ableton a good DAW to start out with?

Aha, I'm obliged to say it would be a good idea to burn your iToy and buy a real computer :twisted: But that's another discussion.
But yeah, Ableton would be a good option as well. Kinda different workflow as well, but also with a bunch of built-in vsts, affordable, fast (once you get a hang of it), and loads of tutorials

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
Senior

Paranoized wrote:

Aha, I'm obliged to say it would be a good idea to burn your iToy and buy a real computer :twisted: But that's another discussion.
But yeah, Ableton would be a good option as well. Kinda different workflow as well, but also with a bunch of built-in vsts, affordable, fast (once you get a hang of it), and loads of tutorials

haha rofl at the mac hate comment :D think i'm gonna go with ableton then, thanks again for the advice!

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:40 pm
Senior

prisma wrote:
Paranoized wrote:
prisma wrote:

Really simplified reply:

I believe they recently started beta testing FLStudio for Mac OSX.
Anyway, I switched from FL to Ableton and I haven't looked back since. I found that handling large audio files in ableton was just so much easier with the warping than it was in FL, making sampling stuff a lot easier.

Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:27 am
Profile WWW
Ghent Represent

Friscko wrote:
prisma wrote:

I believe they recently started beta testing FLStudio for Mac OSX.
Anyway, I switched from FL to Ableton and I haven't looked back since. I found that handling large audio files in ableton was just so much easier with the warping than it was in FL, making sampling stuff a lot easier.

They are indeed Beta testing it for Mac, but it is not going well and for the moment it looks like it won't be released for Mac anything soon, if not ever...

Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
Bass junk

Rocking FL studio since 2004 over here :D

edit: not a very constructive post is it, better next time

Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:22 pm

Go for ableton!
It's super complete (especially the suite pack).

It's got a whole variety of built in VST's (ex. operator is a realy pro fm synth, very complete and easy to use) and Ableton has also got great complete built in effects.

I use nothing but these built in devices to make my bass, synths, atmo's, xylofones (tension ftw), pads,.. From time to time I even make snares, basskicks, glitch sounds,... using Abletons operator. That makes it way cheaper than other squencers that force you to buy additional external vst's.

The wav editing system is very complete as well (very powerfull, different sorts of warp systems,....). And the sampler can do the same things as the wav editing system in FL. Reason lacks a solid wav editing system (handy for recording, warping, and editing without having to use a sampler). In the newest reason they added a wav editing system in the sequencer but that made it more unstable then ever (it's stablity was its strongest point)

Ableton is also real easy to use when it comes to recording, the production sequencer is very intinutive and the extremely complete live squencer is without any doubt the BEST live sequencer out there.

But offcourse you got to get used to it and it takes time before you get the hang of it.
And I do believe making music with ableton is more difficult as a starter than with Reason and FL. I used FL & Reason before I started working with ableton and it was real easy to make a quick (less professional) song.
Switching from one DAW to another isn't that big a deal by the way, it just takes some adjustment...

basically it's not the size (or tool in this case) that matters it's what you do with it. But I think Ableton is bigger and blacker than any other DAW out there :D

CruizeOfFiction

Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:50 pm
Profile WWW
www.drumnbass.be

if you're starting out i'd say go with ableton, it's the most complete package (i'm a cubase head myself but you know ... it's a habit) out there and the thing about it is that it's very EDM oriented ... and it has the most features and a workflow that are really lookin into the future ... in a way it's several steps ahead of any other daw out there.

still, if you wanna go real pro, go cubase or logic... but in the end it doesn't really matter ...

just to mention, Spor/Feed Me uses almost exclusively FRUITY LOOPS, deadmau5 too, skrillex is on ableton, noisia is on cubase, wilkinson on logic .... just to name a few top producers and their respective DAWs of choice ...

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. ~Mark Twain"

"Life is merely a dream - and not worth living unless you're living beyond your means. Well beyond your means ~some dodgy facebook app"

m.a.r.v.e.l.
Mailman's Advantageously Recorders Violinist's Exuding Looking

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:31 am

Ik gebruik Fruity loops. Persoonlijk vind ik da het gemakkelijkste & het snelste te leren

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:23 pm